- This event has passed.
ANNUAL COMMUNITY DITCH CLEANING
April 5, 2019 - April 6, 2019
TO: ALL MALE TRIBAL MEMBERS (over age of 18 unless in the military or attending school) NON-INDIAN MALE RESIDENTS, AND NON-INDIANS WITH LAND WITHIN THE OHKAY OWINGEH LAND GRANT
FR: GOVERNOR RON LOVATO AND TRIBAL OFFICIALS
DATE: March 27, 2019
- The dates for the annual cleaning of the community irrigation ditches has been scheduled for April 5 & 6, 2019. (WEATHER PERMITTING). Please be there by 7:30 a.m.
- To fulfill your ditch obligation you are required to be there for 2 days. A fee of $25.00 per day will be assessed if you are unable to furnish a workman for your share. Those who hire a workman for their share should ask for written verification by a tribal official. Workman should retain all documentation of participation.
- Senior Citizens, age 65 and older will be exempt but are encouraged to participate and those tribal members who provide a doctor’s medical statement because of illness will be excused.
- Non participation by Non-Indian male residents and Non-Indian female residents could result in restriction of irrigation water use or restriction of residing on the Ohkay Owingeh Land Grant.
- ONLY ONE SHARE PLUS YOUR OWN WILL BE ALLOWED.
- Tribal and Non-Indian females are asked to bring food (Friday & Saturday) to the Boys & Girls Club (Gym). It will be open by 10:30 a.m.
NOTE: It is your responsibility and duty as tribal members to participate in this community activity. All male tribal members and non-Indian residents regardless of whether you plant a garden or not, are required to help clean the ditches. Remember this is a community obligation.
- Use of alcohol is prohibited.
- Those individuals who are asked to leave because of alcohol will not be given credit for work.
- All tribal members are encouraged to plant a garden each year. Water is a very valuable resource.
- High School Students will not be allowed to take shares on a school day.